Apartment or house, big or small, carpet or hardwood… your home NEEDS a vacuum. Possibly, even more than one. But definitely, if your living space is on the smaller side, or you live solo and/or don’t spend a lot of time at home, big expensive vacuums may be downright overkill. In fact, opting for a handheld vacuum over a regular upright or canister model may be your best option. Here’s why:
- Less expensive: Hey, in today’s society, saving a buck is the bottom line for most of us, right? Handheld models are, on average, significantly less costly than their standard upright counterparts. And, let’s not forget that most will have no bags to constantly replace, and some will even run on mere battery power.
- Smaller: Small place, small space, so small vacuum. Especially for those of us who call an apartment home; space is an issue. You don’t want to be running down to the storage locker every time you need to vacuum a little, right? Smaller handhelds vacuums are perfect for tucking away into a closet and still leaving plenty of room for other belongings.
- Versatile: Handheld vacuums are great for getting into the little corners and the other awkward places. And if your living space is small, a handheld model can be quite adequate for going over the floors of your main living area, as well. If you fall into the category of a renter, a sole inhabitant, or someone who isn’t at home often, simply keeping the problem areas clean (in front of the couch, your pet’s eating area, etc.) is quite enough.
- Convenience: There’s no doubt about it: holding a light little whirring appliance that sucks up dirt feels like MUCH less of a task than lugging out that big ol’ canister on wheels. It actually makes cleaning feel a little bit fun. Most of us do get a certain satisfaction out of watching a vacuum suck the dirt out of the unclean areas. This satisfaction is easier, and maximized, with a handheld vacuum.
- Portable: To your home… and beyond. It’s a tool you can bring with you virtually anywhere. OK, so they don’t quite make a holster for it, but having one to carry it in isn’t a bad idea. Bringing it over to a friend or family member’s place whenever they need a hand makes you as awesome as a superhero… of some sort.
And, after all, these are just a few of the reasons why a handheld vacuum may be advantageous over a typical upright or canister option. Most likely, you can think of a few of your own based on your individual, unique situation. But the most important reason to remember is that, from an investment perspective, a handheld vacuum has every last advantage that the larger upright models have; just be sure to read some reviews from Homefloorexperts.com on the best handheld vacuums and the criteria to look at when buying one.
As an appliance, it will be accompanied by a warranty; this means you are GUARANTEED to get some good use out of it. Also don’t forget: life is constantly changing. You will upgrade your living space at some point, and when you do, you’ll probably get a bigger vacuum… but your smaller handheld one will STILL have, and serve, its own purposes. Here is a guide on finding a handheld vacuum that’s best suited for your home.